Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Blue Springs

I am having lots of second child guilt. I just can’t stop thinking that Nathan has no clue how much his world is about to change. He has no clue that in just 2 days he is no longer going to be alone at the center of the universe. Add that to Meredith’s need to clean some more and Nathan and I took off for Blue Springs State Park yesterday after nap.

Blue Springs is a natural spring (that they actually bottle water from via a very long pipe) that has been converted into a big swimming area. The name makes it sound like a natural type place, but really it is just a big concrete hole in the ground with a concrete waterfall at one end. Since it is a natural spring the water is very, very cold. It is wild to be standing in 100 degree weather and then jump into water that takes your breath away.

Nathan and I have been before, but I still didn’t know how well he would take to the water. The cold water messed with him for a while. He pretty much perched at my shoulders to be out of it. But eventually we found a ledge that he could walk around so that the water was about waist high. He thought it was fun to walk around the ledge especially because all of the big kids were playing in the same area and I think he felt like he was part of what they were doing.

So we walked back and forth on that ledge for a long time. We also played in the creek area and went and looked at the pond. (see pictures below). But what I think Nathan loved the most was bollyball. (I don’t think he realizes there is a V on that word). We had to play it when we got back home and even when we got up this morning.

It was a fun little trip with my little guy, except for the part where Nathan fell in. He was walking on the ledge and I was turned giving back an inflatable shark someone had let us borrow. As I was waving at them I heard a big splash and look around to see Nathan down in the water. His head is up and he is swimming, but he is terrified. I pulled him up before his face went back down into the water a second time, but he was pretty upset. I calmed him down and made sure that he had a little time back in the water before we left. It wasn’t long until he was playing just as before. But it scared his daddy that’s for sure.

101_1571

 

101_1570

No comments: