Tuesday, November 30, 2010

A Lesson on Saving

For a couple of months now Nathan has been saving up his dollars for a special toy. Each time he would do a chore (a chore being cleaning up a mess that he didn’t make or some other action that he shouldn’t just naturally do) he would get a dollar. Even the grandparents got in on the act of giving the little guy money towards his big prize.

Well, today, Noah decided that he didn’t want to sleep and at 2:00 on a very rainy day I realized that I wasn’t going to make it to Meredith’s arrival at 5:00 so I decided to let Nathan count his money. Remarkably there were as much money in random quarters that I had dropped in his bank as he had in actual dollars. You should have seen his face as he started counting the stacks of quarters. At 19 (the price of the toy) he started shouting. “I can get my monster truck toy! I can get my monster truck toy!”

It was a cool lesson in learning to save for what you want. And for all of those who know me, yes I understand the hypocrisy inherent in me teaching this lesson. I just don’t want Nathan to have the same trouble saving as I have.

saving1saving2saving3saving4saving5saving6saving7saving8

No comments: